Harmony’s blog post #2

Hey Harmony—I know I’m not in your group; I just need a third person’s post to respond to and you were the random selection.

Reading your comments on the controversy surrounding the use of AI as an educational resource was really interesting—in part because your university experience has differed from my own. Like you, I never find myself using Chat GPT (or other AI aids) to complete assignments. I grew up working without it, and I rarely hit a shortage of ideas, so I just think things up and write them independently. That said, unlike you I do know of at least one person who I’m told uses it heavily—and not just as a brainstorm or comprehension aid, but as a ghostwriter. So it certainly does happen, and I can only imagine its use spreading rapidly with every new cohort of university students, for whom large language model use will be more and more second nature.

That said, I have to agree that due to this new reality, educators must find some way to adapt education to the use (maybe limited use, but use nonetheless) of such models, so they can continue to be guides and ushers into the world’s knowledge and open resources, and not merely increasingly ineffective inhibitors.